Even though the mouth is such an integral aspect of the human body, it’s easy to often take it for granted. It’s only when things go wrong when the oral cavity receives more attention and care. But why wait until those times in need? The mouth holds so many exciting facts that may very well be fascinating and sometimes even surprising. Here are a few interesting facts to keep you on your toes.
1. Teeth are the hardest substance in the human body. These mighty parts of your body are powerful tools of digestion and the break down of food. It’s easy to forget that individuals are able to enjoy and consume food only because of teeth! But what exactly keeps teeth so strong and resilient? Scientists have found that the human tooth enamel is composed of a basket-weave structure, which gives teeth their strength and also prevents any cracks that have formed from worsening and propagating through the enamel. Teeth can withstand an incredible amount of force, all due to their well-engineered core!
2. Some say that the mouth is the window to the body, but other than the fact that you can physically look into the oral cavity, dentists are able to see how well an individual is doing in terms of their overall health. 90% of life-threatening diseases have symptoms that show up within the mouth. Heart disease, respiratory disease, and even Alzheimer’s disease have been linked to oral health. Taking care of oral health is just as important (in fact it is related) to the body’s overall health.
3. Bad breath odors are definitely something that everyone wants to be kept far away from. In fact, more than a billion dollar a year has been spent on over-the-counter products to mask bad breath odors! In the United States, 65% of the population has been estimated to have bad breath, also known as halitosis. But no worries; there are many ways to treat bad breath. Cavities or gum disease have been shown to lead to bad breath, which are caused by lack of brushing and flossing. Always remember to keep up with healthy oral health habits; it may just say you from bad breath.
4. Speaking of flossing, if individuals never make it to pulling some floss out and getting it in between teeth, they are actually missing 35% of their tooth surfaces. That’s quite a lot of tooth surface to be missing out on! When there is lack of proper flossing, bacteria are more than ready to take over these surfaces, foraging for leftover food to consume. The more leftover food, the more bacteria!
5. It’s been estimated that there are over 100 million bacteria in just one drop of saliva. But saliva is a big help in dealing with the amount of bacteria in the mouth. It is a major fighter of germs in the mouth and also prevents bad breath! Saliva has key proteins and minerals that fortify tooth enamel and prevent tooth decay. What’s more is that the average human produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime, that’s enough to fill up 2 swimming pools!
Feel free to contact Drs. Ali & Ali and the caring team at Wellesley Dental Group if you have any thoughts or concerns; they will be happy to answer your questions! Contact us today at 781-237-9071 or email@example.com to set up an appointment and consultation.
Where I got inspiration from: http://visual.ly/your-mouth-matters-fun-dental-facts