August 8th, 2012
We all know that certain foods are healthier than others. However, did you know that some foods can actually lead to the development of cancer? Some of the ingredients in common foods are carcinogens, or cancer causers. Once you get to know these ingredients, you can make smart choices about the foods you eat.
Part of what causes cancerous tumors to develop is sugar in the blood. Consuming too many sugar ridden snacks (simple carbs) creates an ideal environment for cancer cells to grow. Eating a low-glycemic diet means avoiding refined sugars at all costs.
Some examples of these are high-fructose corn syrup, sugar, sucrose, enriched bleached flour, white rice, white pastas, and white breads. Also, eliminating soda and sweeteners is advised. Not only will you be eating healthier, you'll also help keep a good body weight and warding off diabetes.
Below are five cancer causing foods to avoid:
- Hot dogs: Children should not eat more than 12 hot dogs in a month. If these are a favorite of your child, look for ones without harmful sodium nitrite as an ingredient.
- Processed meats/bacon: These also have sodium nitrite as an ingredient most of the time. Going to an organic market would be the best way to find some without it. There is also a high amount of saturated fat, which is bad for heart health.
- Doughnuts: They are loaded with hydrogenated oils and are condemned by experts as a terrible breakfast choice.
- French fries: Hydrogenated oils are an ingredient in these as well. They're fried at an extremely high temperature and contain saturated and trans fats, which are counter productive to heart health.
- Chips, crackers and cookies: What makes them so delicious is excess sugar, trans fats, and white flour. Also, there are often preservatives to maintain their shelf life.
Avoiding these foods as much as possible is an easy way to a better, healthier life!