March 22nd, 2017
March is National Nutrition Month, which means it's the perfect time to start focusing on improving your diet! Eating healthy is not only important for your overall well being, but also your dental health because your teeth, gums, and mouth play a huge role in eating, chewing, and swallowing. Signs of poor nutrition can be easily detected from the status of your oral hygiene. Although what you need to eat to maintain your health depends on your age, gender, weight, and level of exercise, the Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion recommends the following nutritional guidelines:
- Fruits and vegetables should cover half your plate
- Whole grains (oatmeal, whole wheat bread, rice, etc.) should make up half of the grains you eat
- Dairy (choose low-fat/fat-free options)
- Protein (lean meat, eggs, beans, fish, peas, legumes, etc.)
Other tips for a healthy lifestyle include:
- Moderate exercise for 2.5 hours a week
- Avoiding sugary and acidic foods and beverages (protect your teeth!)
- Try not to snack too much between meals, but if you do, choose healthy options such as nuts, fruit, or yogurt
- This is especially important, because bringing cakes and sweets into the workplace has become a common unhealthy trend. Say no if you can!
- Choose foods that benefit your dental health, including leafy greens (high in fiber), almonds, dairy (calcium rich), and protein-rich foods (great sources of phosphorous)
- Drink lots of fluoridated water
Try to make nutrition a priority this month!
Feel free to contact Drs. Ali & Ali and their newest addition to the team, Dr. Zarah Ali, if you have any thoughts or concerns. The caring team at Wellesley Dental Group will be happy to answer your questions! Contact us today at 781-237-9071 or firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment and consultation.
Your little ones and teens are welcome to visit our pediatric dentist Dr. Van. Dr. Emad is happy to help with your orthodontic needs. For wisdom teeth extractions or any other periodontal or oral surgery needs, Dr. Ghazi would be more than willing to help.